What does the "Transaction Response – HTTP 401: Unauthorized – Unauthorized Request. Bad or missing credentials." error mean?
Assuming you are using FirstData this error means you entered the wrong keys or the like at FirstData
"Transaction Response – HTTP 401: Unauthorized – Unauthorized Request. Bad or missing credentials."
If you are verifying your integration with a test order (always a good idea) and encounter the above error, it means that the Gateway ID and/or Password is configured incorrectly in the Dashboard for your selected environment (Production/Demo).
If you have the correct Gateway ID/Password (not the same as your account password used to sign into your First Data online account) for your selected environment (Production or Demo) the easiest solution is to update the plugin with the corrected information.
If that fails, or you do not have the password written down, a new one can be generated by following these steps:
1. Log into your demo or production First Data account
2. Select your eCommerce terminal by clicking: Administration > Terminals > Your ecommerce terminal:
Select a Terminal
3. Ensure that the First Data plugin is configured with the correct Gateway ID for the ecommerce terminal you selected.
4. After clicking on your ecommerce terminal, scroll down the next page to the Password field, click “Generate” to create a new password, write that password down in a secure location as you won’t be able to view it again. Click “Update” to set the password:
Updating the Gateway Password
5. Configure the First Data plugin gateway setting with your updated password.
6. Perform a new (hopefully successful) test transaction!